College administrators believe that any student who is accepted and wants to attend St. Joseph’s College of Nursing should be able to do so. We work hard to help students find the financial resources they need. Staff in our Financial Aid Office provides information and advice to help students and their families apply for federal and state aid, student loans and scholarships.

Financial Aid Application Deadlines

Student Status FASFA & NYS TAP
New Applicants January 1
Current Students February 1
How to Apply For Aid
Federal Pell Grant
William G. Ford Direct Loan Programs
Direct PLUS Loan Application for Parents
New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
NYS Aid to Part-Time Study (A.P.T.S.)
Private Education Loans
Special Awards & Scholarships 
Financial Aid for Non-Citizens
Net Price Calculator

How to Apply For Aid

To be considered for financial aid, students must file after every October 1:

    • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the US Department of Education Student Financial Assistance Programs;

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant assists students in their pursuit of higher education. To be eligible, a student must be matriculated as an undergraduate and be a citizen or meet a citizenship requirement. To apply for a Federal Pell Grant, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Awards vary each year according to Congressional appropriation and cost of education. Through the Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), parents may borrow up to the cost of attendance per year for each financially dependent student. The amount borrowed in any year cannot exceed educational costs, taking into account all other financial aid received. Interest on the borrowed amount begins after the first disbursement. Repayment begins within 60 days of the last disbursement and the maximum repayment period is 10 years. Applications are available from the Financial Aid Office.

William G. Ford Direct Loan Program

Unlike scholarships and grants, loans are borrowed money and must be repaid – with interest. Direct loans are either subsidized or unsubsidized, many students will qualify for both.  A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. The federal government pays the interest on the loan(subsidizes the loan) until the student begins repayment and during authorized periods of deferment.  An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need and the student is responsible for the interest payments from the time the loan is disbursed until it is is paid in full.

To be eligible a student must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien, be in good academic standing, make satisfactory academic progress, have no prior student loans in default, and be studying at least half time.

Direct PLUS Loan Application for Parents

The Direct PLUS Loan Application allows you to authorize the school to use your loan funds to satisfy other educationally related charges after tuition and fees, and room and board have been paid.  Before you can receive a Direct PLUS Loan, you must complete a Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (Direct PLUS Loan MPN), which explains all of the terms and conditions of Direct PLUS Loans and constitutes your legally binding agreement to repay all Direct PLUS Loans that you receive under the Direct PLUS Loan MPN. You will have an opportunity to complete the Direct PLUS Loan MPN after you complete the Direct PLUS Loan Request.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Tuition Assistance Program: New York state residents attending colleges in New York state can apply to receive a grant through the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), which is administered by the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). To be eligible, a student must be a resident of New York State and a US citizen or permanent resident alien or refugee. He or she must have a high school diploma or GED, take at least 12 credits per semester, be in good academic standing, have no previous debt from a defaulted student loan and meet family income criteria. Each semester TAP award is valued at 6 points and an academic year is valued at 12 points.  Points are accumulated from all the schools from which the student received TAP. The maximum allowed for study at a two year institution is 36 points.   You can review TAP Income Limits and utilize the TAP Award Estimator to estimate your eligibility.

Applicants needing to submit additional documents to HESC to determine TAP eligibility can go to and click on “Review My NYS Financial Aid Information.”  This method allows students to see a historical upload of documents to verify receipt.

NYS Aid for Part-Time Study (A.P.T.S.)

Aid for Part-Time Study is a very limited campus-based grant program for qualified residents of New York State enrolled for at least 3, but less than 12 credits per semester.  Student must be in good academic standing to be eligible; not eligible for repeated courses.  Please complete the application and submit to the Financial Aid Office.

NYS Special Awards and Scholarships

New York State also offers several scholarships and grants to residents who meet certain criteria. Among others, aid is available for students who are:

    • Veterans
    • Children of Veterans
    • Family of Deceased Public Servants
    • Native American Aid

To find out more regarding eligibility for these programs and others, visit the HESC Web site at

The New York State Division of Veterans Affairs provides educational benefits for veterans of the US Armed Forces and children and spouses of veterans who suffered a service-related death or disability or are missing in action. For more information, contact your local Veterans Administration Office or the Customer Service Hotline at 888-442-4551.

The US Bureau of Indian Affairs offers a Higher Education Grant to eligible American Indian/Alaska Native scholars entering college. A student must be a member of, or at least one-quarter degree Indian blood descendant of an American Indian tribe that is eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States through the Bureau of Indian Affairs; must be accepted for admission to an institution of higher education that confers associate’s or bachelor’s degrees; and must demonstrate financial need. An application is available with the education officer of the affiliated tribe.

Financial Aid for Non-Citizens

You must be a United States citizen or permanent resident to qualify for Federal Student Financial Aid (and a New York State resident to qualify for New York State Tuition Assistance).

In order to be considered for financial aid, you must meet one of the following non-citizen statuses:

    • U.S. permanent resident, with a Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Receipt Card or “Green Card”)
    • Conditional permanent resident (I-551C)
    • Other eligible noncitizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Indefinite Parole,” “Humanitarian Parole,” or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant”
    • A citizen of the Republic of Palau (PW), the Republic of the Marshall Islands (MH), or the Federated States of Micronesia (FM)

St. Joseph’s College of Nursing has adopted the Federal regulations for eligibility to assist us in qualifying students for our institutional aid programs.

Special Circumstance Review

If you have experienced a significant life event that is not reflected on your FAFSA such as (job loss, death of a parent/spouse, divorce, or retirement, etc.) and would like to be considered for a special circumstance review of your FAFSA, please complete the Special Circumstance Form (link) and submit all supporting documentation for evaluation. Approval is not guaranteed and is based on a case by case situation.